Recipe for making sparkling mermaid bath bombs.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup citric acid
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbs iridescent glitter
- 2 tsp fractionated coconut oil (or substitute another liquid oil)
- 20 drops of teal gel dye*
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil (or other kid safe essential oil).
- water if needed. approximately 1 tsp
- 2.75-3" bath bomb mold
- Whisk together dry ingredients. Then add the oil, dye and essential oil. Whisk well to evenly distribute the colorant.
- Test the moisture of the mixture by grabbing a handful and squeezing. If a clump is formed which holds together somewhat it should be moist enough to mold. If you need to add a little water, 1/2 tsp at a time. You will not need much. 1 - 1.5 tsp at most**.
- Scoop up some bath bomb mixture with each side of mold and gently press down then put more mixture on top overfilled and press the sides together firmly over mixing bowl. Give a slight twist and carefully remove the mold. Set each mermaid bath bomb aside to dry.
- Once the bath bombs are dry, place in airtight container or shrink wrap bags.
*Gel food dye is far less reactive with the bath bomb mixture than standard liquid food coloring and imparts a richer color. I find it also works better than powder pigments in most cases and is far less costly. Leftovers have a long shelf life and are wonderful for use in baking and other crafts too.
** too much liquid will trigger the fizzing reaction and bloat your mermaid bath bombs.